Senior Optical EngineerApply Job ID 7072133 Date posted 02/02/2018
Your new responsibilities
LEDVANCE LLC markets SYLVANIA lighting products (lamps, luminaires and smart technologies) for virtually all lighting applications for commercial office and industrial buildings, exterior lighting, and home. As a global lighting leader, we provide lighting solutions for virtually all applications – from traditional light sources, LED alternatives to smart lighting solutions (Smart Home). We are a well-recognized world market leader and are now an exciting start-up company that has a great deal to offer our employees. This is an exciting time in our company as new technologies are rapidly replacing traditional light sources, creating demand for our lighting products.
LEDVANCE has, 100+ years of customer relationships and a powerful distribution network with excellent market access around the globe. We know all the requirements of the general illumination market and cater for the individual demands of our direct and indirect customers.
The company employs about 8,900 people, is active in more than 157 countries, and generated revenue of around $2 billion in its fiscal year 2014/15. LEDVANCE acts responsibly towards its customers, employees, business partners, society and the environment – at all its locations around the world.
The Senior Expert Optical Design will be providing designs and analyses in development of all aspects of mechanical portions of optical components for lamps and luminaires. They will occasionally also be involved in the assembly stage and advise manufacturers during the production process.
- Estimate the costs, resources and time required to develop new optical components and systems for LED lamps and luminaires
- Develop optical components for LED lamps and luminaires from the scratch to the finish component
- Simulate the optical system with a ray tracing program, optimize it and ensure that a maximally robust design is developed
- Define the materials to be used for production
- Build up prototypes to test the optical system
- Generating a set of acceptance test requirements, together with the quality engineers, which determine that all of the requirements have been met.
- Mentoring of other optical engineers and consulting of R&D engineers in optical design topics
- Support in standardization topics
- Professional Knowledge
- Design of optical systems with focus on lenses and reflectors for lighting applications
- Modeling and drawing experience in SolidWorks
- Doing optical simulations with LightTools
•Good knowledge on quality control and statistic tools, (e.g. FMEA, SPC, DOE, MSA)
•Risk management and decision making
•Knowledge of Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA) principles and practices
•Experience in material and production process for optical components
What we look for
- Demonstrate entrepreneurial and creative spirit with the balance of business logic and drive
- Experience in fast-paced environments, ideally with LED fixtures
- Strong, creative problem solving and effective decision making skills and be able to resolve elevated issues, be creative and resourceful and display sound judgment and demonstrate accountability
- Strong organization, planning and project management skills; ability to prioritize tasks for both self and team to meet business requirements and deadlines and proven ability to work in a time-sensitive and high volume environment
- Ability to work across functional groups and different level of employees throughout the LEDVANCE organization to effectively achieve business results
- Strong written and oral communication skills, able to create presentations and the ability to present technically advanced concepts and ideas clearly and effectively to a non-technical audience
- Strong track record of building and maintaining solid relationships with both internal and external customers, vendors, potential technology and commercial partners and the lighting research community
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BS or BA degree in business, planning, engineering, or equivalent work experience in the lighting industry
- Minimum 6 years of experience in design of lighting systems (hardware and/or software)
- Bachelor in the major of relevant subject. (Prefer optics / physics / electronic);
- Master degree, PhD or equivalent technical education is a plus
Job category: Salary
Job Family: R&D
Job location: Wilmington, MA
Job schedule: Full-time
Check out where you could be working if you apply.View map
There does not appear to be any other jobs in the same city with this category We suggest you try viewing all of our available opportunities.